The main venue for our concerts is the Teatro Comunale “Claudio Abbado”.
The building, ordered by Cardinal Carafa and designed by Antonio Foschini was opened in 1789. For its elegant interiors and the perfect acoustic of the hall it is renowned as one of the best examples of “Italian theater”.
The theater was closed in 1987 and reopened to the public after a two year long restoration on 27 April 1989. On that very day, the main hall was filled with people gathered to listen to the first concert organized by Ferrara Musica. The musicians on stage for the occasion were Claudio Abbado, Maria João Pires and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.
The great natural acoustic of the theater, enhanced by a wooden acoustic shell, has led labels like Deutsche Grammophon, Virgin and Teldec as well as many great artists to record inside the main hall.
Not all our concerts take place inside the theater: some are held at Torrione San Giovanni (in partnership with Ferrara Jazz Club) and others at historical palaces around Ferrara like Palazzo Schifanoia, Palazzo dei Diamanti, Palazzo Bonaccossi and Casa Romei.